Saturday, January 3, 2009

first aid

I feel like I've achieved the pinnacle of self-actualization: the ability to perform first aid on oneself! Yay me! *clap clap clap*

Anyway, back when I was in Red Cross, the first aid lessons always bugged me because I was (and still am, actually) a selfish person and I hated not being able to do stuff for myself. Okay that doesn't make much sense, but maybe an example will help.

Sure, I know what to do if someone gets stabbed (pile on the ring bandages, baby) but what if I get stabbed? Do I have to sit around with a knife in my innards, moaning piteously until help in the form of another first aider arrives?

I hated the feeling of being so helpless. Plus I wouldn't want to see the newspapers have a field day reporting stuff like, "First aider dies of stab wound LOL". Therefore, disenchanted and disillusioned, I quit Red Cross and set off the explore the world on foot.

Nah, I'm just kidding. About the exploring the world on foot part. I mean like c'mon, I hate physical exertion. And I think exploring the world would be pretty boring. But I DID quit Red Cross.

And because my skin is exceedingly sensitive to bug bites and sunlight (whooo ezcema!) I was forced by circumstances to learn how to apply basic first aid to myself. ); *cue teary gaze off into the distance*

But to cut a long story short... it worked. Yay I just finished dressing the rashes/blisters caused by the latest bug bite/ sunlight exposure, and to make things better, ONE OF THEM WAS ON MY BACK :D

YES. I have not only mastered the art of administering first aid to myself, but also dressing wounds on my BACK. (:

Perhaps some more accomplished Red Crossers here are scoffing, but hey, it's harder than it actually seems. :/ Well, to me at least.

And as insignificant as dressing wounds on your back may seem, it really helps alot when you manage to dress and clean your own stitches and not have to rely on other people to do it for you. Blisters/rashes, too.

One step closer to being fully self-reliant. (: It's only a short jump from there to mountain top hobo then. Yay! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home